Sunday, June 25, 2017

Define Your Dash #24: Things, Places, and Quotes that Remind Me of My Dad

Music. There a certain artists and songs that always make me recollect my childhood. When I read this question the first thing that came to mind was Basia (I had to look up how to spell that). Apparently she is still making music but I have only ever heard the music that my dad played. Huey Lewis and the News as well as Billy Joel and Toto always remind me of my dad. I remember one family dance party in the early nineties when my dad got a new Huey Lewis CD. I guess stereos also remind me of my dad.
On another music not (see what I did there) there is a Natasha Beddingfield song (Unwritten in case you need to visualize) that I can't hear without thinking of him bursting into song and surprising/scaring everyone in the car.

His Art. Now my dad really is artistic, we had a picture of the temple done in pointillism hanging in my house most of my life. However, the art work I remember is the same mountain scene that he draws on everything. It is like three very basic mountains, some trees, a sun, and some line birds... This is his signature artwork and I wish could explain it better.

Marriott. He has worked at Marriott as long as I can remember and that brand name has always been associated with him for me. When I was little (before I could read) I thought that Marriott said Keith. To this day I still think that the Marriott M looks like a K. Yeah, just stared at it for a while and it takes conscious effort to see it as an M.

Spider Solitaire. I remember seeing my dad at the computer playing spider solitaire after work or dinner countless times. Games in general remind me of my dad but this is the one I associate most with him. (Other than Dragon Master which he is always the Dragon Master of.)

Bear Lake. I don't know how many times I went to Bear Lake with my parents. I only remember one. My mom wasn't with us. We drove up, looked at the lake, got a raspberry shake and, I got a pebble to bring home to prove to my mom that we had been in Idaho. I just remember it being out of the ordinary and a lot of fun.

Lake Blanche / Lake Mary. Back when I was fat and lazy and young and didn't like to hike, my dad used to get up early on Saturdays and go hiking without us. My how times have changed.

Basketball. Dad has gotten up early several days a week to go play basketball for years. He often came home injured in one way or another. That is a rough sport.

Quote:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment