Sunday, May 7, 2017

Define Your Dash #18: What I Love Most About Where I Live Now

It is no secret that I really didn't like living in my current neighborhood when we moved in. We came to check out the ward after we put an offer on our house and it seemed great. It was full of lots of young couples just like us. There weren't a lot of teenagers but after growing up in historic Sandy that seemed normal.
It took us a little more than a month to start going to the new ward consistently because we were simultaneously trying to get Grandma's house ready for selling and our house to the point where it was livable. By the time we got there, our names had been read in (on a week we were at our other ward) and we found ourselves with callings almost immediately. Nick was put in the young mens/scouts and I was put into the young womens.
This was difficult for me. I didn't really get a chance to know anyone in the Relief Society because I was with the young women all of the time and I didn't know how to interact with the presidency I was put into. I have been in several presidencies during my life and I honestly didn't know what to do with this group. The communication was unlike any I had ever experienced and I simultaneously felt like a surplus member of the presidency and the overused (no one else will do it give it to Whitney) member of the presidency. As I reflect on the situation several years removed from it, I can tell that I had a slightly skewed view of what was happening and a less than mature attitude about what I was asked to do. In retrospect the whole experience taught me a lot. I also got to know and love many of the women I worked with but that took quite a while.
So, my original view of living in this house was not positive. I didn't particularly like my ward, aspects of my neighborhood scared me a little bit, my house was put together but not my dream house, and I was just so busy all of the time (this didn't have a ton to do with location but I think it made my whole perspective more negative than it would have been otherwise). I went to class Monday, a meeting on Tuesday, young womens on Wednesday, my parents on Thursday, and by Friday I was usually up for half a movie before I passed out. None of these things was bad but all of them after a ten hour work day each day (first year teaching) and my life was not what I wanted it to be.
Since then, I would like to think I have grown up a little bit but it is hard to know for sure since our circumstances are so different now. Five years later, I really like where we live. Our area is diverse socially, ethnically, and economically. This presents opportunities to get to know, serve, and be served by people from a variety of backgrounds.
I have a different calling, that I love, and have gotten to know a lot of people in the ward.

-As a side note, this was not an easy feat. When we moved in, it felt like getting to know people was a task akin to pulling teeth. People would get up on Sunday and bare their testimonies about what a warm welcoming ward we had and I would wonder what ward they had moved into. I'm not sharing these feelings to complain, I am trying to prove a point. We do (and I assume did) have a great ward. But it wasn't until I put forth the effort to get involved, and be the person who goes out of their way to talk to people, and plan stuff, that I made some good friends and started to like it. I think for some people the social aspect of life is easier. Maybe they are more naturally social, or their face says to people "come be my friend", or maybe they just happen to sit by the right people at the right time. I don't know. I just know that in my own experience, my best friends have been made when I am brave enough to leave my comfort zone and find them.

Anyway, I have a calling I enjoy (though I think I would enjoy any calling more now than I did then). I am a stay at home mom, I have a beautiful baby boy who makes me so happy. Nick is done with school and happier, life is just far less stressful than it was (or maybe the stresses are happy stresses now).

So, what do I love about where I live now?

The people I live by, my ward, the neighborhood, easy access to everything, and the fact that I am choosing to live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment