Sunday, May 21, 2017

Define You Dash # 19: First Best Friend

How do you define best friend? I know I have had a handful of people in my life that I would have considered my Best Friend at a given point.

When I was little it was probably Nathan Conder. We were raised side by side and spent crazy amounts of time together. Yes, we are still in contact and see each other at least a few times a year.

I had a best friend in first grade named Michelle Bodkin. I have no idea what happened to her but I do remember her being my first good friend who was a girl.

When I moved to Sandy my best friend was probably Miranda Peterson. We were good friends from second grade until fifth grade when she moved. I remember that being very hard and for a while, I drifted a bit. Lots of acquaintances, no best friend. We are facebook friends I think.

From sixth grade until the end of middle school my best friends were Karin Nizguritzer, Kelsy Jordan, Katy Ogden, Franklynn Stott, and Alisha Larson. The amount of time I spent with each as my best friend and the closeness of the relationships fluctuated quite a bit. I am Facebook friends with them still but I only have real relationships with Franklynn and Alisha at this point.

My best friends in High School were Alisha Larson, Franklynn Stott and Tara Smith. High school was a little bit different though and I feel like I had a wide variety of people that I got along with and hung out with. There were lots of weekend get togethers and Frisbee games. I worked with Franklynn and Alisha though and other than my family I would say I have spent more time with them by choice than any other people in my life.

Towards the end of high school, Nick became one of my best friends. He had been an acquaintance and casual friend for a long time but it wasn't until that last year that I started spending as much (or more) time with him than Alisha and Franklynn. I married Nick (and he is my very best friend), am still in fairly regular contact with Franklynn, and pester Alisha with texts almost daily since she moved away.

The first year of college was tough. Nick went on a mission, Alisha went to Idaho, and Franklynn and I spent so much time together that it is a miracle that we can still speak to each other. After floundering for a bit, I made some good friends in my singles ward, Ashley Kimball and Alicia Anderson (among others). I still see Ashley all of the time.

My best friends now (other than Nick), and they have always been there even if I didn't think of them as my best friends, are my family. I have had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with my Mom the past couple of years and have enjoyed getting to know her as an adult. I also see me dad, brother, and sister frequently and have excellent relationships with all of them.

I feel that I have been blessed with great friends throughout my life and have always had the relationships that I needed when I needed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment