A. There was a a water run off area in our neighborhood growing up. As a kid I thought it was a river as an adult I'm fairly certain is was a glorified gutter. Nevertheless it had trees and plants growing in it and it was somewhat secluded. I remember going there several times with Nathan, Spencer, and various other neighborhood friends. We gave it a name. I don't remember what it was just that it was epic. Anyway, one day Nathan and I were playing "jump across the river of death" when I stumbled and landed on my knees. Nathan walked over and said "it's a good thing you didn't land right here" he pointed to a plant, "this is stinging nettle". Keep in mind that we were probably five or six. I asked him what would have happened if I had touched it. He proceeded to tell me that thorns from stinging nettle can make your hand explode. For reasons I don't understand, I thought that would be pretty cool. I took a thorn off the plant and stabbed my palm with it. My hand did not explode. However, I do have a scar to this day.
|Spencer, Me, Nathan|
|Me and Nathan on the kitchen floor|
|Spencer, Nathan, Me, Reed, Sam|
|Miranda and a very charming me|
5. I was once at a sleepover for Ariean. This was my first sleepover with a whole bunch of people. We did not sleep at all ( something I have never been very good at). In fact I was scared to fall asleep because I didn't know what they would do to me if I did. In the middle of the night a car backfired right outside the house. One of the girls convinced us that it was a gun not a car and for the rest of the night we talked about death and murder and I couldn't sleep at all. When I got home the next day, I got banned from sleepovers because I was less than pleasant company after one. For the most part that suited me just fine. I liked sleep more than parties. Not much has changed.
|I am almost positive that is Ariean's half head next to Cody (and Spencer's thigh). There are not a ton of pictures of this time of my life. Probably because I ran away from the camera.|
6. My mom was doing an activity at my house either for young woman's or achievement days when I was 11 or 12. Me and the other girls (Ariean, Karina, Lacie) were playing outside. Spencer had a set up plastic golf clubs that he was showing off with. We were playing on the swing ignoring him. Suddenly a golf club came flying down and hit Lacie in the head. We looked at him as he guiltily ran away. He had used the clothes line as a bow to project the golf club at us. My friend did a fairly good job at keeping it together. I remember that we ended up sitting on the wall in my backyard with a piece of chalk forming the bandaid club. There were four of us up there all with various scratched and scraps from that one week of summer. We signed our names on the top of the wall as a symbol that our club would last forever.
|Lacie has the heart shirt on. Ariean might also be in that chair but I can't tell for sure. Ben is pouting.|
7. When I first moved to sandy I was invited to play with Karina, one of the girls in the ward. She taught me how to play Life and we choreographed a dance to one of the backstreet boys songs. I think the whole dance consisted of cartwheels.
|Little Karina is right in the middle|
8. In sixth grade we had a valentines day dance. It was legit. We had dance cards and everything. The only problem with it was tha sixth graders don't necessarily want to dance with each other. The cards were filled out in class the day before and I remember that I had a mix of friends and loners on my card. I was not one of the girls who "dated" or even caught the passing interest of 11 year old boys. That was fine with me right up until this dance. I had more than one boy that I intensely disliked on my dance card and more than one boy that I secretly had a crush on on my dance card. It's amazing how many people you can have a crush on at once. Anyway, when the dance started it didn't matter which boy it was the whole thing was terribly awkward. It was one of the most miserable valentines days of my life (and i spent a lot of valentines days single) and possibly left me with permanent emotional damage. That is why I don't make my kids do dances as a teacher.
9. One time I was playing with two of my neighborhood friends (Cody and someone else Karin? Karina? Kelsy?). One started talking about how hungry she was and the other one jumped out of his seat and yelled " my banana bread is burning!" He then proceeded to jump on his bike and ride back to his house to get his banana bread out of the oven. I don't think it made it.
10. At the beginning of middle school hotmail instant messaging became really popular. I remember running home from school and logging on to the dial up Internet and turning my account on just to see who I could cyber chat with. Much like texting I was far braver about what I said when I didn't have to say it in person. Anyway, one time three of us (me, Karin, and Karina) were at Karin's house taking turns talking to this boy we all thought was hot. He didn't know we were all talking to him but we didn't care. Then the Karin had to go to some kind of practice. Me and Karina stayed at her house while she was gone talking to this boy. No one else was home. I think we were there for a few hours until her family got home for dinner.
|Karin and Karina|
11. All the kids in the neighborhood were playing outside one day in the summer. I think we were having a water fight because I wasn't wearing my shoes, they were in Kelsy's house. Kelsy's parents came and extracted her from the water fight to take her out to dinner. It was a while before I realized that my shoes were locked in her house. We tried to break in, Karin and I (who had successfully broken in to her own house earlier that week) and failed because we thought they wouldn't appreciate a broken window for a pair of flip flops. I walked home in my bare feet. The whole block and a half.
12. When pirates of the Caribbean came out I was in love with Orlando bloom, as we're several of my friends. On opening night we (Jill and Tasha and I) went to see the show. We loved it and walked home without shoes (because pirates don't wear shoes. . .?) we sang the pirate song the whole way. We got home around midnight with very black feet.
13. In high school several of us were hanging out across the street at Tara's house. We left late and came back to my house. Alisha stayed at my house quite a while before deciding to leave. When she went to go she realized she had left her purse at Tara's house. It was probably after midnight at that point. We called and texted Tara but she didn't reply. We decided to go over and see if her light was on. We looked at her house and her bedroom light was off. We walked to the back of the house (yes in the backyard) and saw that the bathroom light was on. We started knocking on the window and calling her name. Lucky for us it was her in there, though I think we scared her to death.
|Tara and Alisha|
14. The first Halloween of high school Kelsy and I went to Tara's house. We had a Halloween party with the three of us. We ate lots of pixie stix and watched a movie. We went to the Halloween party at that same friends house every year for several years it got bigger and bigger but that first year was the most memorable.
15. For the last two years of high school I would like to think I had a frisbee team. It wasn't really a team but spencer and I could usually pull together a big enough group of people every Friday night to play ultimate. Franklynn hardly ever took the game seriously. He was always doing twirly ninja tosses and failing to run after the frisbee. One time though, things were different. The frisbee was on its way to becoming a point and it was all up to him. He ran after it and when he turned around to check his progress he ran right into a fence. Covered with thorns. He caught the frisbee but when he emerged from the thorny bush he and it were both scraped up and stabbed.
|Franklynn and Tracy|
|Big Handful of the Frisbee "Team"|
16. One Halloween, me and Tara were heading to Alisha's house. She had a house that was rather secluded for being in the middle of a city. We were driving down the dirt road to her house when out of her corn field jumped a grown man in a terrifying mask. Now this would have been scary by itself, but I had always feared that someone would jump out of that corn and get me. We made it to our house with the creepy guy following us and decided to risk getting out of the car. He didn't say a word just followed two steps behind us to her door. Luckily he wasn't a killer just a chiropractor.
|Tara, Franklynn, Alisha, Me|
17. I had a sleepover, I think it was during my last year of high school, with Alisha, who also liked to actually sleep. We planned to go to Lagoon the next day but when we woke up she didn't feel very good. So, instead we went to the library rented any number of bizarre movies and watched them all day while eating junk food. Coincidentally, I went with Alisha, Nick, and Safety Patrol to Lagoon a couple of months ago. She was also sick that day but stuck it out for the kids. My theory is that Lagoon makes her sick.
If you happen to be terribly upset by an unflattering picture of yourself, just look at me in those pictures and it will make you feel better. I have a part two in the works and am still open for ideas. I think the next one will include some of my random college experiences as well :)